Monday 4 June 2012

Recent Debate, and Reflection Post Assignment 3

It just recently occurs to me that I have a lot of difficulties in learning under this program. I am not sure if it is just because this is a distance learning program. To be honest, I prefer working independently, so less interaction with people actually works better for me. However, when I have question, where should I turn to.


The first day when I sign up for this course, I got warned (by OCA staff) on the forum that we cannot bother our tutor on every tiny question. The interesting part is then somebody put up a post saying that his wife quitted her degree in anger, because her tutor told her that he only get paid for grading the assignment, not the exercises. I don't know if I am "lucky" to run into all those posts just at the beginning of the course, but I always feel that I should not ask too much question but think more myself. 


I don't have a problem with that, but what if I do need some moral guidance? It is sort of silly to ask, but is this blog setup ok? Can anyone navigate around here? By the way, is there anyone reading my post? To be honest, no one ever commented on my exercise, so I assume they are fine. Sometime (I think) I get what the exercise for, sometime I don't, but I just let it be. No one ever said I did something wrong, so it is a "good assumption" that it all goes perfectly. I have a feeling, that I won't hear anything about this until the assessment day, when somebody has to (hopefully) look at everything I do and comment on it. 


By then it is too late to do anything to improve.


It is the reason why I set up Spiral Labyrinth, the blog of my side project and my main blog, that I can mess around without any of the OCA stuff on it. 


Anyway, why I am writing about this? I have officially passed midway of the course. As a reflection, I have to face all the short comings in studying in OCA, and find a way to work around it. The OCA course note on Colour (previous section) and Light (current section) are too limited. It is not possible to get even the basic understanding just by reading and doing the exercise there. There is a reading list. However, at this stage, they are not just recommended reading materials, but necessary reading materials. 


I have some doubt if a degree in Photography is what I seek. I feel the current syllabus in this BA in Photography is not sufficient for me. I think I will have a better idea when I get closer to the end of this course on if I should consider the BA in creative art instead.


Last but not the least, I have a quick read from the degree handbook. It gives and idea on what we are aiming for at each level. In summary:


At Level 4:
1) Learn to study independently, set goals, manage your own workload effectively, and meet deadlines
2) Develop and ability to identify, present, interpret and research works of art
3) Learn to problem solve in relation to the processes and execution of your chosen disciplines and communicate creative ideas effectively
4) Experiment, explore, and take risks.


I think I have no problem in #1 and #4. Whether I know what is art and what is work of art is an issue. I am constantly presented with images, with many of them seriously shit, even if they manage to make it into a museum. #3 is more about execution, ie operating photographic equipment and doing post processing, I think I need more practice.


Interesting enough, there is something for level 5 and 6 as well:


At Level 5: 
1) Develop your individual research methodologies to find the material for assignments.
2) Cultivate working routines from which an independent style will evolve
3) Develop proficiency in comprehensive range of practices and techniques
4) Show a creative, critically informed and self-reflective approach to creative art practice


At leve 6:
1) Understanding of the professional considerations ... including an understanding of the vocational context... personal intiative and responsibility and decision making in challenging contexts
2) Aware of the social, political and economic issues which affect your chosen discipline
3) Demonstrate and underpinning understanding of theory and concepts and show that you can articulate and comment upon through debate.
4) Demonstrate a breadth of inventiveness, idea generation and techniques in the creation of your work.

2 comments:

  1. Hi, this is the first time I've come across your bog (have been reading your comments on the OCA Forum - very forthright and pertinent). Your blog is quite easy to follow. I usually have a problem with white on black but the font you use is large and clear enough that it's fine for me to read. Your tutor is supposed to look at your Blog and make comments on how effective it is in readability, expressing your views, thoughts, level of development etc. It's a shame if that isn't happening for you. Best of luck with it all. Maybe we'll meet at a Study Day sometime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Catherine,

      Thanks for the comment. I did a little comparison by cross-posting the same post in two different blogs.

      http://art-of-photography-sip.blogspot.co.uk/2012/06/presentation-matters.html

      http://digital-film-production-sip.blogspot.co.uk/2012/06/presentation-matters.html

      Using white letter on black background and the reverse gives very different impression. I have to admit that I didn't think too much about this when I first set up the blog, but you do have point about readability. Let me hang this two posts up for a while and see if I can come to a conclusion. One day I will need to develop my own website, so it is good to think about it now.

      Delete