Monday 1 October 2012

Exercise 44: Symbols

My tutor came back to me with the feedback of assignment 4 the day after I sent it. I have never experienced such a turnover speed, so I have to start working on the re-shoot. I guess it is a good thing because I have not forgotten what I have done and why I did that in the assignment yet, so I have better continuation between the original shoot and reshoot.

On top of tutor's report, the deadline of assignment 5 is going to be 15th December, 2012. I did ask for a generous deadline, but I supposed I should have said more clearly that I don't want to rush more deadline this year... In any case, if I finish assignment 5 in December, I will have one month to cough up an assessment package for the March assessment. I enrolled in OCA on the 1st August, 2012, so it puts my target finish date for the first module at a year and a half. To be honest, with the current four years per level limit, I am not sure if I can finish level one at all ... 

Anyway, instead of worrying, let's start rushing through the exercises so that I can concentrate on the assignments.

In this exercise, I have to list at least one symbol for the following subjects and add a shot note saying how I can use them in a photograph.

Growth: I think the most obviously symbol is a cliché already. I can represent growth with a picture of a young plant with two leaves. I will photograph it at 45 degree angle down and leave some space on the frame to show that it is still relatively small.  

The other symbol is a screenshot on Bloomberg equity price diagram. I will pick a stock that is going up in value. However, I think this idea is more graphics design instead of photography.

Excess: How about a middle age man sitting with all 76 (I think there are more now) Nikkor lens surround him arranged in an orderly manner? The man has two camera bodies strapping over his shoulder and holding another on with a long telephoto lens.

The other way is to have a lot of toys pile up in front of a child. The pile has to be bigger than the child.

Crime: How about a photograph with two hands holding firmly on the iron gate with bars? The rest of the details doesn't matter, but the two hands and the bars should symbolize someone is being jailed. Thus a crime has been committed.

I thought of gun before. However, army uses gun and soldiers kill people. Is it considered to be a crime or not?

Silence: A close-up shot of someone face with a duct tape taped over his mouth. 

I was thinking of the usual silence symbol by putting a finger in front of your mouth, but I wonder if it is a little bit boring. The movie "Silence of the Lamb" used to have a poster with a woman with a butterfly over her mouth. However, I wonder if duct type is faster.

Poverty: This is hard! I am poor but I definitely doesn't look like it. 

I guess I will photography of a beggar sitting in the corner with can in front of him. I would prefer the framing to be a close up, focus on the can and the begging action. I supposed if you need to beg, because you don't have money. If you don't have money, you are poor.

I am sure I will come back to use of symbol in photography later in assignment 5. For now, let's call it a day.

No comments:

Post a Comment