Saturday 11 August 2012

Exercise 30: Judging Colour Temperature

In this exercise, I have to take three photographs of the same subject that does not have a strong colour, and can be moved around. I need to photograph this subject under direct sunlight during middle of the day, under shade and when the sun is close to the horizon. The whitebalance of these set of shot has to be set to "daylight".

When we calibrate white balance, we use a grey card. I suppose this is easier to spot colour shift due to the temperature on incoming light source if you use an object with neutral colour. I am using a white vase here. So we can easily spot if the colour temperature if the vase is anywhere less than white.

This is in the shade.


This is taken around 3pm.

This is taken close to sunset.


This is taken at noon. 


The difference is very small but noticeable. The white is spot on for the one taken on the midday and shade. However, when the sun is closer to the horizon, the colour looks slightly warm (orange). The closer the sun is to the horizon, the bigger the variation it is. This is a little bit surprising to see the white at shade looks better (colour wise) is better than sun closer to the horizon. I think this is something to bare in mind that I may need to manually calibrate white balance more often that I thought. 

No comments:

Post a Comment