Friday 17 February 2012

Exercise ?: Food Photography

I took a look at the exercise on section 3 on colour, and I conclude that the easiest way to get colourful images is do still life shot with fruits. However, I wonder if it makes the exercises too trivial. 


There are plenty of colour in the street, but to isolate it to just that couple or that one colour is very difficult. Not to mention you want a (somewhat) strong image by the end of the day. I was thinking if there is a way to do something half way. Say still life but not raw vegetable? How about cooked food?


I was cooking green peas and wonder if I can get the cooked dish to have "green" as dominant colour. To be honest, it is harder than I though, given that my background (table) is brown, and the dish has chicken as well.


Then I have to do with arrangement. For landscape short, I prefer a lower angle,



than a higher angle. It makes the food looks flat.




But still, I much prefer portrait shot. It is just how I look at the world usually. I prefer to have the rice as blur as possible because it is not the main subject.



I think to have the food nicely presented on the place is better than trying to shoot on the stove when the smoke are coming out. The smoke makes it hard to frame and reduces contrast.




For now I think I will stick with the idea with raw vegetable instead of dealing with cook food. It is hard to make the colour dominates the screen.

No comments:

Post a Comment