Sunday 22 July 2012

Exercise 32 Light Through The Day

This is the most inhumane exercise in this course. I am supposed to photograph a place at different time in the day from sun rise to sun set. At the moment, the sun rise time is 5:10 and sun set is 21:04. Basically you need to be camping somewhere for 16 hours. Even if you get the camp, hopefully the weather is nice. If not, you can come back and try another day.

With the weather pattern in England, this is the worst exercise ever. Anyway, there is only one sensible place for me to show up at 5:10 in the morning, and that is my house. I can photograph my garden and there include the sky.

There is a long history with my garden. A few years ago when I decide to buy my own place, I wanted a garden. I have been living in tiny flats in different cities all my life. Growing your food and having a dog running around is sort a city drawler's romance. I ended up in buying this place with a 100ft back garden. I never realize how long exactly is a 100ft, until I have to remove the weed that is overtaking my garden. With rainy weather like this year, weed grew so quickly that it has overtaken my vegetable plot. It seems like the slugs and the snails are having a bloom in this kind of weather as well. I have seen a slug as big as a scampi lurking around in my garden. I still remember when I first moved in, I plant some Chinese vegetable. Couple white butterflies landed on it, and the whole crop was eaten by bugs. Then the fences between my neighbour fell down. After two years, she finally came to term this is her side and she has to fix it, but then she told me that she has no money to fix a fence at the moment. 

Really, what a city drawler's romance...

Anyway, this photograph show about half of the garden. There are stuff behind the wooden shard and there are some ground behind me.


4:38am. The sun has not even come up from the horizon yet. One can photograph the sky, but it is almost pointless to photograph anything on the ground. The light from scattering is too weak that is provide virtually no illumination to resolve any detail of the grass (weed), etc.


5:17. This should be the appointed time when the sunrise happen. From this screen, we see nothing.


5:39. 


It doesn't look like anything has changed, but the sun has already risen. At this moment, if I point my camera to the left, we can see the sun coming out from someone else's roof.

6:08. Just 30 minutes passed, the ground start getting light on it. 

7:28. The weather went bad on the previous time, so this is taken on another day. If I need to photograph the ground and the sky together, I think this should be a good point onward. There is enough light to show the detail on the ground and in the sky. The shadow on the fence is still quite long and cover up a large area.

8:52. Really, no one should get out earlier than 9. The screen starts looking better. Even the shadow on the fence is getting shorter and let the light shine on the grass (weed).

9:52

10:20. Even you start your day in perfect condition, it only takes an hour or two to ruin it in this country.


12:30. The sunny day is gone.


13:10. Overcast day, the saturation in the grass seems to be lost.


15:04

16:04. Cloud clears up a little bit.


18:12. Long shadow from the fence starts taking over.


19:16




20:34. It is not obvious that we are getting closer to the sunset by looking at the sky. However, the shadow cast by the left hand side of the fence already hit those on the right hand side.  


20:46 From the left edge of the fence, we can see the sun is going down.

If it is not clear, here is a shot with my camera pointing to the left fence.


21:03. Should we call it a day?

So this is the end of this bloody exercise. Question: what is the best time to shoot? I think depends on what you do. For all the image above, I try to keep around 50:50 for sky and tree/weed below. This is because I was not sure what is more interesting as a subject. If I want to shoot the sky and shoot directly into the sun, I think the period near sun rise and sun set is more interesting. If I am more interested in the ground, I prefer doing it somewhere around 9 to 5 when the ground is well lit. 


At some point people told me that it is a bad idea to shoot at the mid day since the sun light is harsh. My experience is with your typical British weather, most of the "sunny" day is actually an overcast. There is not much of sun out there, so what is the worry?

No comments:

Post a Comment