Monday 2 July 2012

OCA Study Day: Bauhaus at the Barbicans

This is an exhibition on the works by the students and masters from the German craft/art school Staatliches Bauhaus. I didn't sign up for it until two days before the study day, because I was not sure if the study day is reserved for students who are studying in that particular discipline. I did make the call and got the last spot. 


There are two reasons why I am interested in an exhibition outside my field of study. First of all, I was suggested to read about Johannes Itten's work on colour on assignment 3. It happens that he was a master in Bauhaus. Therefore, I am curious what other work he did. Secondly, the assignment 4 is going to be another still life shot. The more still life set up I look at in magazines and books, the more I feel that I will be copying from one of the shot that I really like. Somehow I feel uneasy about the idea of copying somebody's work, intentionally or unintentionally. I was wonder if I should get inspiration from other fields instead of photography.


The work made at the starts of Bauhaus resembles a fine art school then it evolved into an architectural school at the end. Personally I like the work they made during the transition between the two: while it is not 100% practical, but it is not totally out of touch of the purpose of the work. I have a strong feeling that beauty alone doesn't impress me. I have been to some degree shows lately, and most of the works in fine art leave me wonder why we need artists in this world at all. However, when something is 100% practical, it becomes boring to look at. I think there is an art to strike a balance between the two.


There are a number of items that caught my eyes. Some of the photograms are very interesting. There is one photogram by Toni Von Haken-Schrammen titled "Household Spooks". He aligned scissors, knifes, paper claps to form two figures fighting each other and expose them on a light sensitive paper. It was a little bit childish, but it was very interesting to see what one can do with this medium. The part that I found the most interesting is the Typography they use for the school's advertisement. Even back in the 1920's, they have already had a design where letters wrap around the object, with strong and bold typeface. I think colour-wise, it is not comparable with the current printing technology. However, with only black, white and orange, the design look vibrant enough to present Bauhaus as a modern art school. 


Apart from the actual art works, the history of the school is also very interesting. Let's consider the statement form Walter Gropius when he advertised the school.


“Architects, painters, sculptors, we must all return to crafts! For there is no such thing as “professional art”. There is no essential difference between the artist and the craftsman. The artist is an exalted craftsman. By the grace of Heaven and in rare moments of inspiration which transcend the will, art may unconsciously blossom from the labour of his hand, but a base in handicrafts is essential to every artist. It is there that the original source of creativity lies.

 Let us therefore create a new guild of craftsmen without the class-distinctions that raise an arrogant barrier between craftsmen and artists! Let us desire, conceive, and create the new building of the future together. It will combine architecture, sculpture, and painting in a single form, and will one day rise towards the heavens from the hands of a million workers as the crystalline symbol of a new and coming faith.” 


Notice that it took place in Germany right after the First World War. With the country was suffering from defeat from the war, none of the work being displayed shows any sign of distress or suffer, which does not seem to reflect the period they were in. Gropius' word is so positive, especially on "create a new guild of craftsmen without the class-distinctions". Who is likely to come to Bauhaus? Poor people or the one who was injured in the war are unlikely to share such optimism. I have seen a painter called George Grosz in New York MoMA long time ago. He produced many pieces around the post-WW1 Germany, which looks at the society at a totally different tone. 


Anyway, there are a lot to write about this as for a study visit. However, I still consider the most useful thing is the typography, which I might be able to reuse for assessment, etc. Some of the painting from Wassily Kindinsky was very interesting. However, I am not sure if there is a logic to reproduce his work, therefore it is less useful for me. In any case, it is a very interesting study visit and I should attend more exhibition outside photography.

2 comments:

  1. You've been quick! I haven't even started a draft of my post. It's interesting the different things we noticed though. I never thought about the manifesto in relation to what was actually going on at the time. Maybe it shows what an ivory tower some artists can live in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been toying with the html template editor, so now I can finally reply to your comment (sound silly, but I still can't get it to work on my main blog).

      Last time I wait too long to write about the Gillean Wearing's exhibition and eventually forget about it. So I think I will just write down what my impression as soon as possible before I lost the momentum. I don't keep note, maybe that is the problem.

      I still have to do the one for Out-of-Focus before my memory fade...

      Delete