Wednesday 16 November 2011

Exercise 16 The Relationship Between Points

In this exercise, I need to photograph two separate points. Then look at the relationship between the two. In theory there should be one that dominate the image.

Image 1: 50mm ISO 800 f/4 at 1/250

First of all, the two points stand out against a rather noisy background because they have distinct colour. The shape on the right hand side is dominating the image because it is larger.


What if I photograph something with equally dull colour or about the same size and same shape? Back to my home made studio with harsh lighting.

Image 2: 50mm ISO 400 f/11 at 1/100

Now it is less obvious on which one is dominating. I would say the Very Lazy Garlic on the upper left slightly dominates with longer shadow and clearer word. But if it is the case, this image looks rather floaty because the Garlic is too far up. I guess it is a bad idea to put the dominate subject too far up, and probably a bad idea since it is small and behind.

If I want to play it safe, the standard two points image will involve a much bigger subject compare to a smaller one on the other side of the frame to balance the image out. I think it should be a good consideration if I want to arrange vegetables for still life next time.

Image 3: 200mm ISO 100 f/11 at 1/640

No comments:

Post a Comment