Sunday 4 December 2011

Assignment 1: Feedback and re-shoot, Part 1

I got the feedback from my tutor a week ago. There are several recommendation he pointed and I am (slowly) digesting through and re-shooting the images. So the feedback section will be in several post.


The first image I am looking at is the "board" image, taken in the ground floor of British museum. Here is the shoot that I submitted.



This is something that I never noticed. The tutor told me that there are deep shadow in the foreground and the background is well-lighted by windows on both side. Therefore there is a problem with colour inconsistency. I asked about how to do this shot properly. He mentioned about using flash lighting the foreground, or move the tonal curve in post production. Latter should be quite easy to do, so I open the image and change the tonal curve.


As it happens, if you make the shadow area brighter, it is not so easy to totally isolate the brighter area. So I ended up in putting a mask on the background to dim it down. Also, colour wise the background look white while the ceiling at the foreground look yellow-ish. I find out the best way to fix it is to change to colour temperature. It is not perfect, but it ends up to be something like this.



What an irony. Without knowing it, I am heading the path of a photoshopper.

No comments:

Post a Comment