Thursday 12 January 2012

Comment: UK Photography Right

I post the same post on the OCA forum. Hopefully I will get some more information to update this topic from other students.

I want to start this thread a while ago, but there is no push to look around for article. Sometime ago, I was in a weekend football match of a friend. Someone stopped me and told me that I need parents' consent if I am photographing children under 18. My problem is, I do this as a favour to my friend and have no interest in running around to collect signitures. Also, I have no idea who is under 18 and who is not.

This type of situation happens a lot. I hate picking fight in public, so I usually just give up and photograph other things instead. There are cases that people get away in photographing with their mobiles and small camera, but stuff stopped me because I have a DSLR. At the end I start looking for the relavent law with regard to this subjects. Of course, the Crown Prosecution Service website only as the list of items you cannot do, it does not clairfy what you CAN do.

Here are some of the questions I have in mind:

1) What is the restriction I need to be aware of if I were to photograph strangers in public location?

2) If I photograph stranger is venue such as British Museum, community football pitch (ie it is owned and managed by someone, although public can have free access), who is the right to set the rule for "photography"? Does it need to be published in visiable location (such as entrance)  prior I photographed or stuff and manager can decide what the rule is anytime after I shoot?

3) If I were confronted by individuals, security guards, manager, etc, and ordered to delete my photograph. Do I have to compile? Or they have to get a police or court order to make me delete my photos?

4) What is the restriction on photograph children under 18? Does the law require me to obtain parents' consent before I take a shot?

5) If I take photograph for commercial purpose, under what circumstance I do not need a model release? For example, if I photograph London riot, do I need model release from the rioters before selling the photo to newspaper?

Here are the articles I came across, and they have some of the anwer to my questions.

http://www.sirimo.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/ukphotographersrights-v2.pdf

http://pressphotos-uk.com/php/hints_tips/photographersrights.php

No comments:

Post a Comment