Sunday 27 May 2012

Johannes Itten: The Elements of Colour

This is a book of just 100 pages but it is a very exhausting book to read. Itten wrote another book called "The Art of Colour". It was on "sale" in Amazon for GBP 1600. Yes it is almost two thousands quid. The used copy is over 300 quid, so I settled with the shorten version of it, which is "The Element of Colour".


Even as a shorten version, it takes a long time to get through a page. It is because as he suggests something, I have to go back and see if I agree. There are some colour charts on each chapter illustrates the ideas (or trying to). Then you have to look and see if you feel the way the author describes. 


Most of the time, I don't.


Well, if this is the case, why bother to take time and read this book? In one of the chapter, Itten said that his students disagree with his theory of colour harmony, so he let his students to paint the way appeal to them. Each students ended with very different combination. Then he said, "the colour combination here represent individual subjective opinion. This is subject colour"


It is easy for me to tell what colour combination appeal me personally. However, if I were to work on an advertising champaign, or interior design. I need to know what appeal to my client. This is very difficult for me to grasp. Because I can't sense or feel what other people feel when they saw a colour combination. Maybe it looks horrible to me, but my client likes it.


Honestly, I am not ready to comment on how effective on the seven kinds of colour contrast and how I can use them in photography. I think unless I have a chance to set up a design with those principles in mind, it won't ever make sense. I think a still-life set up will be very effective in this area.


I will defer the discussion to assignment 4.

No comments:

Post a Comment