Monday 26 March 2012

Assignment 2: Re-cropping Images

The first part of the "re-shoot" can be done by re-cropping the images in lightroom. The tutor told me that there are several images will benefit from tighter crop. I wonder if it is a general problem for me since I have the tendency of leaving a lot of empty space in my photographs very often. I can't come up with the reason why, but I feel that I have to "include everything", such as the whole glass, the whole person, etc.


Anyway, here are some images that are reconsidered.


1. Vertical Line. 


Let's start with the original image first.



The problem seems to be I have leave too much space at the top. So I crop it tighter to empathize the subject area.


I don't think it is good to crop any tighter than this. If I crop more, the shape of the glass will be less distinct and destroy the subject. For example, this is less desirable.




2. Rhythm


Let's start with the original again.



So, too much space on the left. There are many ways to reduce it. For example:



However, I found it look better if the glass with colour be slightly lower. It might coincide with the rule of third, but it does look more balance (top down wise).



Can we crop more? Yes, but I feel somehow I want to have just a little bit of white space in the image. Cropping too close (below) will lead to the rhythm carries me outside of the image area. For example.



3. Single Point


Here is the original image.




The tutor mentioned that the blue spot can be considered to be another point. Unfortunately that is something unplanned, as originally I only want to shadow of the glass to be in the image. However, he also recommended a tighter crop. I think, in order for the rose to take over as the main "point", I should crop closer around it. However, the topic here is still "glass" so I want to leave some sign of glass around. Still roughly follow the rule of thirds...





4. Two Points


Here is the original image.




The comment of the tutor is a little bit unclear. He said, "There is also a dominant line running horizontally across some images that is impacting upon the subject matter particularly in the two point images."


What is not clear is if this "horizontal line" means the edge of the table, or am I leaving too much white shape on the top and bottom (due to shooting in portrait mode). I am emailing him back for a clarification, but by the mean time I try to crop out those white spaces. I think this looks more even.


 

1 comment:

  1. I rather like these - just playing with composition and colour and light. I especially like the close crop of the glasses with the orange liquid - the distortions and repetitions remind me of mathematical progressions.

    ReplyDelete