Saturday 3 March 2012

Exercise 26: Colour Relationships

This exercise has two parts. The first part requires me to take three photographs of each pairs of complementary colours with the given proportion. That is 1:1 for red/green, 1:2 for orange/blue, and 1:3 for yellow/violet.

Here is the 1:1 for red and green.


The next one is 1:2 in orange/blue:



Then 1:3 for yellow/violet


The second part of the exercise requires me to shoot 3-4 photographs of the colour combinations that appeal to me. 

Here is red/green in roughly 1:2 ratio. In addition, there are small portion of yellow in the screen.

Here is yellow/violet/green in roughly 1:1:1 ratio


Here is blue has much larger proportion than orange (only the tiny area near the centre of the flower). On top of it, there are as much yellow as orange, and as much blue as green.

To be honest, I cannot sense the tension for putting a different proportion of colour on an image at all. It is true that we tend to draw our attention to the brightest object on an image. As a result, a large amount of lighter colour can in theory distract us from looking at other objects less. However, I don't feel any particular issue unless the brightness is extremely different that the other colour looks dark. For example, take the 1:2 red/green image as example. I crop it into the two versions below, one is roughly 1:1 ratio, and the next one is 1:3 ratio. 



Can you feel the tension? Personally, I can't feel it. Will I adjust the composition just to make sure the colour balance is exact at 1:1 ratio? I just don't see myself doing that. In fact, for the very first image in this exercise, I prefer the composition by moving the frame slightly to the right, so it will be less red.

No comments:

Post a Comment